Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums that are influential/innovative/good
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #37 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
Agreed.

Also, @OccultHawk, are you a fan of Billy Woods? At times I find Earl's approach similar to his because of the slow delivery, incredible lyricism, and as of late, his beat selection too.
I like Billy Woods.

I'm not saying there won't be any more really good hip hop I'm just saying that I don't think there's going to be any more huge artistic revolutions within the genre.

I think a lot of great jazz happened after Coltrane died but he still had what I consider to be the final word on it's evolution. I also think Lee and Thurston did that with guitar based rock'n'roll.

You would have to be inside my head to know exactly what I mean by that but there it is.

In this sense, I don't view Coltrane as influential. I think he said everything there was left to say. Some critics call free jazz a dead end. I call it the mountaintop.

I do not like Woods as much as Earl. I really feel there's something very special about Earl. However, I will admit that for a long time I was right on top of hip hop as it happened but somewhere along the way I started discovering missed pieces or that for whatever reason it took me longer than it should have to realize how great certain artists are or were.
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote