Music Banter - View Single Post - The Islam Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #148 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
That is the strangest thing about ISIS-islam. Music is found in all cultures, and in every civilaztion throughout human history. Yet for some reason they have a vendetta against it.
^ Music was also banned in Afganistán under Taliban rule. I think it's because of a fundamentalist idea that music is a sensual pleasure that distracts from the contemplation of god. AFAIK the Taliban want a society based on how the prophet Mohammed used to rule, hence no tv´s, internet etc.

Something that ali (aka pansy gayboy) is well-qualified to tell us about is just how varied the interpretation of Islam is, from one time/place/group to another.

As Chula and others have pointed out, the majority of muslims are mild-mannered and hospitable. The bad news is that there is enough doctrinal intolerance in Islam to make a case for terrorist acts, and to justify what we in the West see as cruel intrusions into basic human rights - by which I'm thinking mainly about the treatment of women in Iran and Saudi Arabia for example.