Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rock Album Survivor Reviews Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #152 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Speaking in Tongues by Talking Heads

Style: Art Rock, New Wave
Releaser: 1983]Lengrth: 40 min. (rerelease is 47 min.)
Round: New Wave

I'm not really a Talking Heads fan, but I enjoy their music to an extent. I think Speaking in Tongues has been one of the better experiences I've had with the band's music. The funky side of the album is what made it good.

Upon the first note, I knew I would enjoy this more than Fear of Music and their debut, meaning it was a sure thing to be a legit good album. I knew the first track, “Burning Down the House,” from somewhere. It was a Tom Jones cover. So it was cool to be familiar with the opener. It's a pretty awesome opener, really cool drumming that's like a mix of tribal music and Phil Collins. “Making Flippy Floppy” has a more funky feeling to it, not as good as the first track but good enough for the album. “Girlfriend is Better” really is better. It's got a more dance-worthy vibe, creating a really cool sensation inside the body, one that's a bit different from the previous Talking Heads albums (At least the three I heard, 77, Fear, and Remain). But it's still very TH. Slippery People keeps up the funky fresh vibe, but it's a littler soft in comparison. Still, I like the usage of the vocals in this song quite a bit. “Wild Gravity” is wild in a very deep way. It's very production and electronics heavy, something quite unique for the release. }”Swamp” had nothing new to offer, but it was a decent song. ”Moon Rocks” was better. It had a really funky side that seemed to soothe the soul. “Pull Up the Roots” doesn't have anything new to offer either. “This Must Be the Place” actually has a really cool side to offer, nice and smooth but fairly heavily produced.

I think the best tracks were the softer ones. They seemed to be more fun and have more relation to me. I think this is a good addition for anyone who wants a taste of new wave, as it is somewhat unique.

82/100. Voting it off because there is a lot of better new wave I've heard.