Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #372 (permalink)
Key

Everybody at this forum should know by now how big of a fan I am of Runescape and the lore that comes with it. Well, when I heard about a card based game that was coming out based on the game, I thought to myself "man, it's just going to be another Hearthstone ripoff". Let me say right now before I say anything else that I haven't actually played Hearthstone before, even though it's gained a tremendous amount of popularity through it's existence. I've seen videos and images of the game, and although it looks interesting, I never really found myself to be a big fan of card based strategy games. However, Chronicle: Runescape Legends seems to take the idea of a card based game and bring it to the next level.

Now I know what else you're thinking, "Ki, you're just saying it brings it to the next level because you're a big fan of the game in general." Well, part of that is true. But I read reviews of the game before I decided to spend my time on it, and the reviews for this game are exactly how I feel about the game. First off, you don't have to be a big fan of the game or the lore to really submerge yourself into the game, because the mechanics that the game offers allows for anybody to get into the game and have a good time.

Basically, at the beginning of each game, you start off with a hand of 7 cards, and these cards can differ from creature cards that you attack, to support cards that give your character health and armor. You can discard a couple cards at the beginning to get a chance to pull some of the cards that will give you an advantage. It's all based on luck though so you won't know if discarding a card that you could have used was a good idea until you start pulling cards from your deck that you can't use because you don't have enough gold, or it gives you a big disadvantage at the end.

You go through 5 chapters for every round, and each round, you have to play up to 4 of your cards in your hand that can either damage the enemy you are facing, or have it help you 100% by getting your armor and health and attack stat up to prepare yourself for the final battle against your rival. The play field is neat in the sense that you are watching the character you have been leveling up, reveal these cards one by one and reap their benefits, or disadvantages as the game progresses. So it's very immersive in the sense that you really do see what effects your cards have on you or your rival.

As you go through each fight, whether you win or lose, you gain experience in a number of different skills, and for your character in general, and you level up. Each time you level up, you have a chance to pull a new card for your deck, or in game currency that'll allow you to craft new cards to put into your deck. In the 2 hours I've played so far, I've found that I have changed my deck around at least 10 times. At the point I'm at now, I've found a deck that works really well for me, and I've been able to win a few games as a result. Again, it is based on the luck of the draw, so don't go thinking if you put a card in your deck that you know you can win with, 50% chance you won't even pull the card, or you'll play a card that discards that card altogether. I've found myself even taking a few minutes to decide what my next move is, because there are a lot of factors that go into it, and sometimes you make the right move, sometimes you make the wrong move. I recently had a game where the HP difference between me and my rival was literally 2 HP. My rival was able to get the last blow due to their attack stat being higher than mine, with how they managed their card draws throughout each chapter.

At the end of each game, you do end up fighting your rival on one on one combat. And it's all based on the stats you've conjured up throughout the cards you have played through each chapter. So you can go one chapter and only play cards that will support your character and not inflict any damage on your rival, or you can go full on tank mode and only play cards that will inflict damage on your rival, but have no benefit to your character. You have to be careful though, because the rival could easily be hiding cards until the last chapter to raise their stats to much higher levels than yours, and with that type of strategy, they can destroy you in the final battle.

A game like this is really refreshing and for a company to go the route that they did with a card based strategy game, it's certainly been done well. I'm enjoying the heck out of this game, even though i've lost most of the games i've played so far, but it's all a learning thing and you have to come to build a deck that will work in each chapter, so that each draw, you have something to play.

Did I mention the game is free? Yeah, it's free. It's on Steam, and I guarantee if you like Hearthstone, you'll love this game, and Hearthstone will fall into the dusty shelf because of how much you'll play this one instead.