Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rock Album Survivor Reviews Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #192 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel

Style: Folk Rock, Folk Pop
Release: 1970
Length: 37 min.
Round: Folk Rock

Simon and Garfunkel, famous for their four studio albums and The Graduate soundtrack, set out to becomke the greatest pop duo ever. For a whole album, they were. They had reached their goal. Simon and Garfunkel's “Bridge Over Troubled Water” was the highest-selling album in the world for a short time, and it has some of the most amazing songs on the planet. Sadly, the two did not have enough time to live that out because they broke up soon after.

I played the album for the first time in a year. The opening title track came on. For a moment, I felt the soul of the great composer of psalms, David. The song is the most touching, beautiful... I can't hope to describe the beauty of this song other than this: It's the greatest song I have ever heard recorded. We then take a five second breather from the incredible aura and comfort of the greatest opener in the world and enter “El Condor Pasa,” where a wondrous guitar instrumental carries us into a tune of chirping flutes like an orchestra of birds in the morning and Simon and Garfunkel lead them with an amazing combination of their vocals. As that opera of folk sadly ended, we head into a total shift in emotional and musical direction as Simon and Garfunkel clap and stomp their way through “Cecilia,” an innocent and amazing pop rock story of a girl of the same name. I often hear about the best three song chain on an album, I think this was it. And now we enter “Keep the Customer Satisfied,” one a bit heavier on production than the l;ast two tracks. It doesn't reach the same quality as the last three songs which broke the five star limit, but it's a very fun and eccentric addition that continues the tone of Cecilia very successfully. Next is “So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright,” which is the slowest song the album has to offer this far in. So sad. It carries the sadness of Simon's break-up with Art. Next is the Boxer, which is calm and collective. But the horns after the first verse make it more energetic, as if it was combining the tones of the previous tracks into one. The tone gets more relatable and emotional over time, even as at just ends with a simple acoustic solo. A more hyperactive and childish solo starts Baby Driver. Although not amazing, it's a whole lot of fun, and practically nostalgic as it reminisces childish kiddie songs you might know. It brings you to your youth. “The Only Living Boy in New York” brings in various influences to create something new. It's an amalgam of emotionsd all used for the purpose of song. “Why7 Don't You Write Me” has a slight country feel, one that's filler but great filler. It seems a little clunky in comparison to the rest. Still, it manages to excite the listener, thus being a good success. Next is a live cover of “bye Bye Love,” possibly one of the more notable versions of the song as their vocals blend perfectly. However, the clapping of the audience drowns it out a little. Thankfully, it doesn't drown out the vocals. “Song for the Asking” is a perfect, stunning shred of hope for the duo's reconciliation and reunion.

What kind of album is this that it envokes emotions so well? And to be combined with one of the most brilliant lyricists already is just so phenomenal. And the different directions they tqake with different songs never really change the flow of the album. It's nothing short of brilliant. Bridge Over Troubled Water is not just some other great folk album: it is a work of art greater than the Mona Lisa. And I think any music buff should listen to it a few times in their life.

100. My top decision for the Folk Rock round.