Music Banter - View Single Post - Your History as a Musician
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
B-Ray
Groupie

Well, I was extremely sick during fifth grade, so I missed practically the first half of the school year, so I was kind of at a loss when they handed me a recorder and were like "Read this music the other kids have been taught to read and play it." so I almost instantly gave up on recorder, but I still wanted to play an instrument, so I asked my parents to buy me a harmonica.

I practiced harmonica for a few months, and entered into my school's talent show, and lost horribly because I was a horrible harmonica player, but I was having fun! That memory of having fun is what would eventually spark my musical interest.

Fast forward a few years, and I am getting bored in life. I used to play video games a lot, but even at the age of thirteen I realized video games were just a time-killer (no offense to anyone who enjoys gaming, it just wasn't fulfilling to me). I thought of what I could do as a hobby that I would like, and I remembered enjoying music, and I knew my step-dad had a guitar he wasn't using, so I asked him if he could dig it out for me to use. After I learned the basic chords, I was having a blast. You can play a lot of songs with just four to six chords at your disposal.

Over three years later I remembered that when I was I want to say six, maybe five, my parents had found a 61 key keyboard at a yardsale and bought for me (hoping I would be some sort of piano prodigy or something I guess, I know some young kids could play piano but I sure couldn't). I did a bit of looking, and we did indeed still have it, so that has been what has been consuming my time for the past two months, which brings us to where we are now.

And to answer the questions:
When did you start playing? What was your first instrument?

2009, Harmonica.

What were the first songs you learned?

Ode to Joy.

Did you take lessons and for how long? What was your teacher like?

Nope.

When was your first performance? What gear did you have?

2009, school talent show, first act harmonica.

When did you start or join your first band? What did you play? How long did it last?

Never been in a band.

How have your gear preferences changed over time? What is your favorite gear now?

Well, my instrument has changed, so my gear preference has changed to guitar stuff. It may be cheap, by my silvertone guitar has done me well for a few years.

How much gear do you own? How much have you sold? What are you hoping to own in the future?

I own a guitar, guitar stand, keyboard, accordion, mouth harp, metronome, a few tuners, harmonica, and I haven't sold any of it.

How have your influences and playing style changed over time?

I used to be interested in pretty much exclusively 90's rock, so my horizons have broadened vastly. As far as playing styles go, I used to do your just basic pop four chords, but now I am much more keen on playing either jazz or blues.

What were your best / worst performances like?

N/A unless jamming with friends count.

Have you ever had any studio experience? Where at?

Nope.

Do you still play? If you don't why did you stop?

Yes.

Last edited by B-Ray; 06-20-2016 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Answering the questions provided.
B-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote