Music Banter - View Single Post - The ONLY Bright Eyes Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 11:31 PM   #222 (permalink)
MrFloyd
Groupie

I understand that many 'indie rock fans' put out major hate on bright eyes. And I can see why in a way, he is very self-involved and tends to lack direction in some of his writing. I am not one of the people that feels this holds him back from making really top drawer music.

I'm not sure how he is 'cliche' as was mentioned before, I mean sure he has very evident folk influences, but since when did that stop people from writting songs with just guitar in hand. Much 'indie rock' being made today often sounds like a combo of Neutral Milk hotel and the grateful dead, but com'on now, theres a point where he neeed to look at the real measure for how stuff is classified as cliche . . . the radio.

I think he is struggling to hit his stride and has started it with his new album "I'm wide awake its morning" (i realized i'm bias becase his lyrics appeal heavily to me) So he gets a big thumbs up to me, and if more people could ignore the fact that he really is a self involved bastard, they'd really dig his music.