Music Banter - View Single Post - Brexit? Yay or Nay.
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #240 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Well, I didn't expect the Brexit boys to win - it's such a huge change to Britain after 43(?) years that it's difficult to imagine what will happen next. Unfortunately words like "uncertainty", "volatile" and "falling pound" have a way of quickly translating into closed businesses and unemployment, and that means real hardship. Sovereignty is a fine notion, but for someone without a job it's pretty cold comfort.

Of course the EU isn't evil, but it has a very unwieldy bureaucracy, and I have a low opinion of bureaucrats. Whatever else they are up to, they always make sure that they survive and prosper. In the case of the EU, I remember when Britain, with much trepidation, joined up, and at that time it was a manageable club of just 7 countries. Now it's a group of 27 countries which requires ever more bureaucrats, struggling to impose a unity of which, at times, there is little evidence on the ground . What we once joined and what we are now leaving is no longer the same animal.

So this morning, like Monkey, I am stunned - and at the moment I feel more worried than proud.