Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #377 (permalink)
Key

Alien: Isolation

I'll be honest, I was a bit skeptical of this game at first, because I really didn't want to be disappointed with it, and I wasn't ready at any time to dish out the full retail price for it, so luckily I did pick it up on sale. Having put a couple hours into the game so far, I have to say that the full retail price is definitely where the price of the game should be. I'm a big fan of the survival horror style games as people are well aware of by now. I absolutely love the Amnesia games, I love the heck out of Outlast, unfortunately didn't have a very good experience with SOMA, but i'll get back to that game eventually. Naturally I felt that I was going to really enjoy Alien: Isolation.

I have been enjoying the game for what it is thus far. It's definitely got what the genre calls for. Jump scares, a scary environment, and a pretty good story, but I definitely underestimated how often I was going to be on the edge of my seat when I play this game. I've played my fair share of survival horror games, but now a lot of them really get up there in the sense that this game has done so far. I feel as though I'm having to look over my shoulder all the time, and I always feel like there's going to be something waiting for me every time I crawl into a vent, or when I open a door. It's got that feel to it that really makes you feel like you are the one walking in the **** trying to avoid all the nonsense going on.

There is one thing that I really like about this game that differs from a lot of survival horror games that I've played. Alien: Isolation gives you the ability to take down the enemies you are trying to run away from. Granted, I understand that this also means you will be using the limited amount of ammo that you have access to, but I always wondered what a game like this would be like if you had the ability to shoot at the stalkers etc, and it works really well. Especially in this setting. I still do find myself trying to sneak around and run away from enemies, but unfortunately, this game makes it so running away isn't as forgiving as other games are. I can't even tell you how many times I've tried to run away from the alien, when the better solution would have been to shoot at it and hide. But, I learn from my mistakes. Unless the alien decides to jump from the ceiling and take me out on one blow.

But I digress. It's a great game, and I urge everyone to get it while it's on sale, because even if it wasn't on sale, I'd pay full retail for it. I'm sad that I didn't give myself the opportunity to play this game earlier when it was released, but i'm making up for it now. It's definitely got a lot going for it, so i'm excited to continue it.