Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Music Hall
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Key

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool (2016)

Sometimes when I completely dismiss a band, I miss out on something that could potentially be a change in my opinion of the band as a whole. I woke up this morning and for whatever reason, I felt an urge to listen to A Moon Shaped Pool, and i'm glad I did.

People at this forum already know that i'll do whatever I can to insult Radiohead, and although I enjoy doing that, at some point it does get old. I even dismissed this album before I heard it because I was trying to be funny, but in all seriousness, I really should have given this album a fair listen when it was released, because I actually enjoy it quite a bit. The thing that seems to stick out in this album as opposed to their other albums is that it seems like Thom Yorke has finally found a way to use his voice in a way that is actually listenable, in the sort of U2-esque/Pineapple Thief-esque sort of way. It works. There's also a bit of Killers influence throughout the album, and I think there's more of that than anything else. It's a very catchy album, and I can't really say that about a lot of the albums they've put out over the years.

I don't know what this means for me in terms of how I think of Radiohead, but if this album is any look into what their future looks like, well I hope they continue to go with it, because this is the kind of sound I like to hear with a band like this. Thom Yorke sounds great throughout the entire album, and I can see myself listening to this album over and over again and enjoying the heck out of it. It really is good, and coming from someone that completely dismissed the band, that's saying a lot.

Standout tracks:

Spoiler for video for Daydreaming - Radiohead:

Definitely a rewarding experience listening to this album.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote