Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Music Hall
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Key

Katatonia - Dead End Kings (2012)

Ever since I listened to The Fall of Hearts earlier this week, i've been on a Katatonia listening binge. I've listened to all their albums before, a few times even, but it seems like every single time I listen to them, it feels new every time. They create a sound that I have come to really love over time. Bands like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, and Tool have all done that as well. It's a sound that is super easy to listen to, but it has it's own complexities within, and with Dead End Kings, you can hear how mature the band has gotten to the point that this album was released.

Every single track on this album is fantastic, and it has the added benefit of allowing each track to flow right into the next, making you hear how each track compliments each other. It flows really well, and makes for a very nice listening experience, which Katatonia has managed to do with each album they release, at least with my experience.

Dead End Kings also has the added benefit of being the first Katatonia album I ever heard. I believe it was recommended at this site by another member, and I loved the artwork right away, so I felt like I needed to hear it, and thank god I did, because it opened the doors to a band that I wouldn't have listened to otherwise.

Standout track:

Spoiler for Katatonia - The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here:

I didn't realize it until right now but this song reminds me of a song by Riverside titled "After". I think it's just the intro in Katatonia's song that made me think of it.

Key is offline   Reply With Quote