Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Music Hall
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Key

Gojira - Magma (2016)

Full disclosure: I have never listened to Gojira until I listened to their new album, so my opinions on this album are from a first ever listen of the album and of the band altogether.

I've seen the name Gojira being thrown around at this forum and on various other sites and people always praise them for their sound, and my god I can see why. Like I mentioned in my disclosure, I've never listened to Gojira before. I've been on a strange kick of bands that sound like Tool or Katatonia or Riverside and the like. The doom/alternative/heavy rock sound, and Gojira fits the bill as well. This album, Magma, is really good. Every track is fantastic and fits the bill for what sound i'm looking for when I listen to bands like this. I don't know where I would rate it in terms of albums that have come out this year, because let's be honest, the new Katatonia album may be my album of the year, I've listened to it plenty of times anyway. But this album could potentially be in my top 10. I really like the vocals as they have that gritty feel to them that really compliments the rest of the band really well. I don't really know what I was expecting when I started listening to this album, but I know now that I should have been listening to this band long before this album came out. Luckily, their discography doesn't seem to be too large, seeing as this is only their sixth album they've released, so I do have some homework to do in terms of listening to the rest of the discography. I can only hope that their earlier work isn't underwhelming because so far, I'm enjoying what i'm hearing.

Standout track:

Spoiler for video for Gojira - Stranded:
Key is offline   Reply With Quote