Music Banter - View Single Post - The quest for car!
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Dodge Charger

Born in 1964, the Charger became Dodge's most successful muscle car, which use to look like this (er...with a very controversial flag painted on the top visa vi the Dukes of Hazzard)

but today it looks like this.

Coolest pick I could find.

Is the controversy a result of people being upset because the flag of institutional racism is no longer on the hood of the charger, no! The controversy is that it's a #&!?in sedan!!!

For motorhead enthusiasts this is complete heresy, and although it bothers me to, (for reasons outside of the charger's historical significance as a muscle car) I'll start with the good.

The Good:

For whoever is reading this I promised that in my last entry on the Challenger that I would list which supercars the Hellcat can beat on the dragstrip, so here we go. The Hellcat Charger is faster than it's brother the Challenger, and the Dodge Viper visa vi competing the quarter mile in only 11.4 seconds. It beats the Corvette and ties with the Corvette ZO6. I would like to say it's the fastest American muscle car on the market, but I can't find the stats on the new Fort GT40 so...hop over to Europe....it lays waste to all current Aston Martin's, Maserati's, Jaguar's, and BMW's. After that things become more patchwork, it can beat most porsche's and the standard 911, but not the GT3, or the turbo (according to the quarter mile, apparently its top speed is higher) and when it comes to the big boys (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mclaren ) the answer is clearly no. Unless buck tooth Joe from Arkansas knows how to modify his Charger, than he isn't going to beat Thirstin Howl's Ferrari on the dragstrip, despite all that power in the Hemi. Of course we've been talking about the Hellcat, but the standard Charger is still quite fast.

For all intense and purposes the Charger appears to be a better performance car than the Challenger. It's faster, it apparently handles well and it's slightly cheaper on the mpg. It's also a comfortable ride and cost affordable: $28,990 - $40,990, its average price is slightly cheaper than the Challenger at 29,000. (52, 000-67,000 for the Hellcat)These are American prices of course, I'm noticing that everything in Canada is about at least 7 to 8 grand more.

The Bad:

Again like all American muscle cars, not so great on the gas, despite my previous claim, it has an average overall performance rating visa vi J.D. Power, and then there is the big issue; it only comes as 4 door sedan, there is no 2 door coupe available for this model which I think is a big mistake. I've seen the prototype for the Charger coupe, and I'd love a fast little muscle car like the Mustang that is easy to stall and parallel park, particularly in underground parking.

The Judgment:

No. I would not buy on in its current form, because no matter how you look at it, Sedan`s just aren`t sporty looking. However if they ever release this 2 door prototype, that looks like this

then absolutely I`ll buy one!

William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote