Music Banter - View Single Post - Exo's Half-Assed Album Review Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #31 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

The Strokes - Future Present Past - Submittd by The Identity Matrix

So, like most borderline hipsters, I have a history with The Strokes. I listened to them in high school before their third album release and still consider Is This It and Room on Fire to be great albums. I go back and forth between which one I like better but I find them both to be incredibly catchy and great for driving to. Their third album was a disappointment and honestly, I haven't given anything else a listen so this is going to be the first new Strokes material I've heard in years. I'm not going to include the remix that's at the end of this because it's just not necessary. Let's see how it goes...

Okay, they still have a drum set. That's nice.

Casablancas has definitely aged a bit although it's hard to tell because his voice is muted a bit. I'm getting a post punk vibe going on right now. I miss the garage rock sound but this is okay. Man, his vocals are drowned in sh*t. It's like he's under water. Not digging that.

Second song, OBLIVIOUS, sounds much better. Still not a fan of the vocals. He just sounds off to me. Lots of soul in this song though. I'll give it to ol' Julian, he's trying in this song a lot. I like this one. Nice melodies. I might just give the remix a listen because I can see how it's a target for that kind of thing. I can see it being a CLUB HIT SMASH with the DOODLY DOODLY DOODLY DOOS at the end.

Ooooooo...down song. Okay, it's official, Casablancas lost a bit. Third song confirmed. That's okay though. Change is good. It just so happens to be one of the big reasons I listened to The Strokes so much as a kid. I guess I'm just kinda of nostalgic. Average song unfortunately.

So yeah. Three songs. One good one, two average ones. I'm glad to see their back making music but like I said like three times, Casblancas has lost a step in the vocal department. I guess copious alcohol binges can damage your chords.

5.5/10

Fav Tracks - OBLIVIOUS
Recommended - Older Strokes

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote