Music Banter - View Single Post - The Metal Education Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 12:56 AM   #91 (permalink)
Music Man
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_the_vile
Sabbath were heavy metal, in the late 1970s, 1980s yes, but as has been stated in the past things change, nowadays sabbath would (in my opinion) be regarded as heavy rock when compared to heavy metal which developed from it

take manowar, formed in the late 70s and were probaly influenced in some part by sabbath, joey di maio was working as sabbaths road crew when they decided to form manowar! but they took those influences along with others to develop the heavy metal sound of today, while sabbath may have been called heavy metal back then, it was because there was nothing to compare it too! an to them it was heavy! now they would be considered heavy rock.

all you have to do is listen to what manowar/maiden/saxon were releasing at the same time as sabbath to notice a distinct difference!

all these things you have been quoting from magazines and websites may be saying they are heavy metal, but think about it if you were a metal magazine, and there was a band as succesful as sabbath out there, wouldnt you want to bend the truth just a little bit so you could include them! it happens.. ive even seen metal hammer refer to bullet for my valentine (who for the record i despise) as thrash! now if someone found that on the web they could quote that easily enough and not think anything of it!
Sorry, your excuses don't cut it. When I was listening to Sabbath back in the 70's, they were ALWAYS referred to as heavy metal. Virtually all the rock magazines, music encyclopedias/books of that era referred to them as HEAVY METAL.

So then or now, nobody was "bending" the truth to include them. YOU are the one bending the truth.

If anybody isn't metal, it's a lot of these wannabe "metal" bands of today, who don't have five percent of the musical talent the original Black Sabbath had.

Rob Halford of Judas Priest KNOWS metal, and he says Black Sabbath is METAL. Deal with it.
"Paranoid is just like an anchor. It really secures everything about the metal movement in one record. It's all there: the riffs, the vocal performance of Ozzy, the song titles, what the lyrics are about. It's just a classic defining moment."

--Rob Halford of Judas Priest
Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote