Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rock Album Survivor Reviews Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #212 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn by Pink Floyd
Round: Psychedelic Rock
Style: Psychedelic Rock, Space Rock

I liked it from the first time I ever heard it. Relistening to it today, I can't deny how amazing the album is. How many would be surprised to find that Pink Floyd started out as a somewhat different, more experimental psychedelic band that blended the pop feel of rock and drugs of psychedelic with a sense of wonder and thought? This is apparent in songs such as Pow R Toc H and the opener. So the fact that they changed pace a little later in their future is very interesting. This album is nothing like their other grand hits such as DSOTM, The Wall, and WYWH and Animals. Their psychedelic side occasionally has traces of early space rock and early garage rock. And the vocals are out of this world, combining the harmonization and production to make a sleek, astral kijnd of atmosphere that drives the messages of this odd album into a league of its own.

1967 has always been one of my favorite years in music, notably for Sg.t Pepper, Surrealistic Pillow, Forever Changes, and other psych albums. Piper is one of the best examples. However, I have a couple I'd put above it, so it's not going to win.