Music Banter - View Single Post - What makes someone a piano\guitar player?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Blank.
Jacob Sartorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
If you hired someone to paint your house and they painted your driveway with a broom, would you say "he's not even a painter!" or "that is the dumbest and worst painter I've ever seen in my life."? Music is for everyone, some are better than others at it, and thinking that you have to adhere to Western music theory or have a certain level of understanding of it is simply elitist.
Uh, no. I'd say, "I'm not paying you and you're removing that from my driveway. Do you seriously not know what a house is?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Most musicians would highly disagree with how highly you place theory in the importance of a musician. It's very simple: A musician is someone who makes music. Theory can be and often is a tool that helps a musician along with that, but it is by no means necessary. Ever heard delta blues? Those guys were the realest musicians on the planet but a lot of them couldn't afford classical training so they took it into their own hands and became brilliant musicians of their own.

Brother if you understood theory a little more I'm pretty certain that you wouldn't think the same way about what is and isn't a musician.
*Ahem* I'll yell it this time! SOME OF THE GREATEST ARTISTS OF ALL TIME DIDN'T UNDERSTAND MUSIC THEORY VERY WELL IF AT ALL.
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote