Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is "Post-Punk" even considered "Punk"?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 11:10 PM   #217 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I consider DSotM and WYWH both pretty distinct from their earlier definitely psychedelic albums. The rootsy underpinnings and 60s pop rock sensibilities of psychedelic music were gone by that time—replaced by more a intricate and controlled style, a wider range of influences, heavy use of synths, big concepts, the occasional odd time signature, etc.
That's all true that they moved in a different direction from their early work, but I think that they still stuck within the psychedelic realm for both of those albums because that's an equally vague genre. Like I said, those are their progishest albums, but they're still largey psychedelic.

Quote:
Animals was moving more in the direction of the art rock that followed—and was a deliberate response to punk on their part—but still had long tracks with multiple movements, a noticeable jazz influence, heavy use of various keyboards, etc.
Okay, I can see that a little bit more now because of your note on the jazz influence. However, I would say that neither long songs with many movements nor dynamic keyboard use are exclusive to prog, despite both being cliches within the genre. The rootsy elements on this one are really strong and make me lean more towards psychedelic than anything. I'd still say that it rivals Operation: Mindcrime in the "hey, that's not really prog" category.

Quote:
I'd say the bigger similarity is that both are very vaguely defined genres.
I suppose. Wouldn't it be crazy if progressive rock was comprised entirely of bands that were legitimately progressive? It's too bad that so many of them thrive on regurgitating the same old shit. Axe to grind aside, do you think that AiC had a strong influence on the grunge world?

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote