Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #4219 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Alright, as a Joss uber-fan, I feel the need to go into a little more detail to make myself clear.

If the first season turns you off because of the STYLE of his ****, then you can just forget about him, cause he's never changed his style in all the years since. His "Whedon-ness" was in full force since day one. But if you dug the Firefly movie then you're probably receptive to that, so if so...

If the QUALITY of Buffy season 1 leaves you wanting more then you should wait until season 2, as that is when he truly hit his stride. Remember, this was his first series, so he was still figuring out what to do, so I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

And if season 1 really seems ****ty enough then you can just skip all the way ahead to season 2. The series was still episodic enough in season 1 that skipping it really won't detract much from the experience after the first few episodes.

But honestly, if you think season 1 is ****ty enough that you want to skip it, then you will probably never truly LOVE Buffy... so... your mileage may vary if you aren't a child of the nineties I guess.

*shrug*

It's Buffy, and Buffy is as ****ty as it is glorious, and there's no way of getting around just how goofy it is. It's kind of all part of the charm. One of its biggest influences was Melrose Place, so just remember that when you're trying to figure out how seriously to take it.
We're the same age, so yeah, I am a child of the nineties.
"So bad it's good" moments often don't work for me though. I cringe way too easily. Still will have to check it out some day.