Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #380 (permalink)
Key

Recently, I have been talking a lot about Fallout 4. I've been talking about it so much that you'd think I literally just picked up the game. Well, that's not true, since I have over 70 hours of gameplay on it already. I would like to however reference a post I made a while back that gave my final thoughts on the game without actually completing the main story of the game. At that time, I thought it was fair to critique the game the way that I did, but recently, I have been growing much more fond of the game and everything it stands for. If you'd like to read my previous final thoughts, you can find the post here: Final Thoughts for Fallout 4 (not irrelevant)

I could literally sit here and write paragraphs about each reason why I was wrong to make such accusations about the game when I wrote my final thoughts for the game before, but I'm going to make it simple and sweet, because I want to talk about another part of the game as well, and I feel it would all do well in one long post. Anyway, I love the game again. I loved it from the day it was released (granted there were a few minor issues with getting the game to run, but everyone seemed to have that issue, at least with PC users) and playing it from the day it was released, I've seen a lot of things that really have made this game much better than the previous games in the series. I do want to mention that I do miss the stress on role play that was very evident in Fallout 3 and in Fallout: New Vegas, but I've recently found in Fallout 4 that you can make some of your companions fall in love with you, and with that brings added benefits by giving you companion specific perks, to other various things like companion specific quests. That right there has made me a believer that Bethesda didn't completely dismiss the role playing aspect of the game, they just made it less obvious unless you wanted to do something on the side. The other thing I have really come to appreciate about Fallout 4 is how vast the game really is. There was a lot of gripe from hardcore fans of the series saying that the map seemed to small, and at first, I did feel the same way, but as I ranked up more hours into the game, I had started to realize that I was spending hours and hours just going into buildings I hadn't discovered before and finding things out about people before the great war, and seeing a lot of things that really tug at your heart, one of which I talked about in this post: http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...ml#post1717371

I've been having a lot of fun with the game as of recently, and that hasn't stopped at all. I've been finding myself wanting to play the game when i'm not playing it, and to have that feeling again with a game like this is amazing. It's the same way I felt when I started playing Fallout 3 for the first time. All I wanted to do was play Fallout 3, and although that game is aged, it's still a remarkable experience, especially if you had never played a Fallout game in your life, like I had at the time. It made me a believer of the series, so much to the fact that I now own every Fallout game ever made, including the first two. Granted I haven't spent much time in those games like I want to, but I can see how they can be appreciated and the leap the Bethesda team took when going from the second game to the third game.

So now, let's talk about...

Fallout 4: Far Harbor DLC

There's recently been a DLC titled Far Harbor for Fallout 4, and when it was released, I wasn't quick to pick it up, mostly because when it was released, I was in that mood where I didn't really see much appreciation in Fallout 4 as a whole. But of course, as I started playing the game again and enjoying it for the beauty that it is, I decided to pick the DLC up, and I have to say, bravo to Bethesda for once again, making a fantastic DLC to an already great game. I would go as far as saying that Far Harbor goes back to the roots of Fallout and makes you feel like you're playing Fallout 3 again, especially with the dark atmosphere that it brings, along with a bit more freedom with how you tackle the quests. I could even go as far as saying that the DLC may actually be better than the base game itself, but at the same time, with saying that, I'm complimenting how good the base game already is, and it's allowed a great framework for a fantastic DLC.

In my experience with Fallout DLC's, and i've only experienced The Pitt DLC from Fallout 3, it doesn't seem like Bethesda rushes these things. They do everything they can to make the experience even in a DLC to match and sometimes succeed the experience that you receive in the base game. To me, that just shows how much they appreciate the fanbase of the game. Some developers would just throw out a DLC and say "here, pay 50 bucks for it" and it doesn't add much. Far Harbor adds a new island with new monsters, armor, weapons, etc etc. I won't get too much into the story of the DLC just so I don't spoil it for anyone, and the fact that I haven't really dove into it too much yet, but if you are a fan of Fallout 4, I would definitely recommend picking up the DLC. You'll love it.

To end this potential tl;dr post that i'm sure most of you are super excited to read. I just want to exaggerate the fact that in my initial post about this game, when I gave my final thoughts, I want those thoughts to be seen as a bit more irrelevant to my actual final thoughts on the game. I don't want to delete the post, because it still holds a bit of history to my experience with the game, so I feel it's only fair to keep it in the journal. However, this post reflects my thoughts more about how I feel about the game, and i'm happy to say that I've got a much more positive outlook on Fallout 4 as a whole. It's been and hopefully will continue to be nothing but a great experience even as I make it into the 100+ hours of gameplay time.

In conclusion, I still don't really know where I would rate this game in relation to the other releases, because I don't think an experience with the first game that you ever played in a series could ever be surpassed, even if the game is obviously better. If I were to rate it however, I would probably put it as: Fallout 3 > Fallout 4 > Fallout: New Vegas. Fallout: New Vegas does have some charm to it, and I enjoyed watching people play it as well as play it myself, but I didn't have the same kind of experience that I had when I played Fallout 3 for the first time. And since I have that same exciting feeling about Fallout 4 that I had with Fallout 3, I feel that both those games could be almost equal in how I feel about each. Fallout 3 will always be my favorite though, and again, I don't think anything will change that, but...Fallout 4 is amazing in it's own way, and I don't think anything will change that either.