Music Banter - View Single Post - just gonna say it. Hot Rats is a far superior album than Bitches Brew
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
TinySickTears
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I hated the best in jazz ten years ago. You'll see the light.
i was kind of the same way. i play a few strings so i was always interested in the fusion aspect of it. the improv.
it took me a while to really start getting into the huge names of like you mention and i usually get to them via frank somehow.

crossover stuff. i like jaco pastorius a lot so of course i got into wayne shorter and joe zinwhal or however you spell it.
then i went back and got to miles and coltraine.

i was always into ragtime.

seems like with jazz you just have to be ready for it and it takes some people a while.

there are different types of listeners too.

some people do not have a developed ear or no nothing of music theory. some dont care about musicianship which i have always been very big on.

i use frank as an example of this because if you are not a 'strange'(not in a bad way) and you really dont get music i doubt you will like it.
odd and shifting time signatures. things like that i think throw a lot of people off.

now i am no snob. i love, love, love people like zappa and joe pass and guthrie govan who had all the theory knowledge in the world and used it very tastefully. love it.

on the flip i love me some white stripes. some heavy, 'simple', to the point killer music. i still hear musicianship in that.

my wife listens to a lot of punk for example and i just do not hear what i want to hear in that music. i dont hear musicianship or any real knowledge of music or the instruments or the history for that matter when i listen to that stuff.

just an opinion
TinySickTears is offline   Reply With Quote