Music Banter - View Single Post - Brexit? Yay or Nay.
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2016, 07:11 AM   #625 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
You could also say that the UK leaving the EU has helped to make the EU realize that they need to change certain laws in order to make the other countries still want to be in it. So it was like a wake up call. But not one that benifits the UK.
^ Well, that'll be some comfort as the ship of Britain sinks beneath the waves that it once ruled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I wonder what are the chances that Britain will rejoin at some point in the future. This kind of thing seems like one of those things that you don't come back from. The EU is probably annoyed with them and Britain probably doesn't want to look like they have their tail between their legs. And I'm talking even a hundred or whatever years in the future.
^ Yes, this Article 50 with its two-year implementation deadline is not exactly a revolving door that makes a change of direction easy. As you say, British pride and European resentment are twin obstacles which will preclude any possibility of re-entry for decades I imagine. In fact, to join in the first place took us about seven years I believe because our application was routinely blocked by the French.

Exit negotioations can only increase the ill will too; Britain trying to squeeze out the last drop of trade benefits on which its well-being will depend for years to come, and the EU, some of whose members are already planning to be as vindictive as possible to deter other countries from leaving.

Just like in a personal relationship, the threat to leave can be exploited as a powerful bargaining chip, but once you have declared that you really are leaving, you've got nothing to bargain with, and your opinion is suddenly of zero value because tomorrow you won't be there any more. So Britain is already in a losing position at the negotiating table, and we can't even field any politicians of stature because our internal politics have degenerated into an endless squabble between noobies.