Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Music Hall
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Key

Metallica - Death Magnetic (2008)

It's been a very long time since i've given Metallica a listen. On top of that, it's been a few years since I gave this album a listen. It was very back and forth with me in terms of whether or not I liked it. Upon it's release, I was all over it, but then it kind of died down, and eventually I completely forgot about it. I decided to give it a listen again recently and I have to say, I actually enjoy it quite a bit. Obviously, it's nowhere near what you'd expect from a classic Metallica album such as Ride The Lighting, or Metallica, but it's certainly got a couple of really good tracks that make the album worthwile.

I'm taking a leap of faith by talking about this album on this forum because I know the hate surrounding this album at this forum is up to par with how much hate Nickelback gets in general, forum or not, but i'm allowing myself to give my own personal opinion on an album that I quite like, and people's opinions on it won't change my mind. Hell, there may even be some closet Death Magnetic fans around here, but who knows.

I remember hearing a couple of tracks from this album at the concert I went to a few years back and they really knew how to play them, and play them well. Sort of made me love the album even more because it wasn't just the sound on the album that made them great, they can perform it well.

If I were to rate this album anywhere, I'd probably put it as my 3rd or 4th favorite Metallica album because even though a lot of their earlier albums are great, I don't find a few of them really that listenable. I'm more into the catchy-poppy Metallica more than a lot of people, and this album definitely has that going for it. Some traditionally memorable riffs going on in this album as well, especially the end of The Day That Never Comes which to this day remains to be my favorite track on the album. Of course, that's a close one especially with how good The Unforgiven III is. Hell, even the opening track is great. Like I said, I like quite a few of the tracks on this album. Not all of them, but most are good.

Standout track:

Spoiler for Metallica - The Day That Never Comes:
Key is offline   Reply With Quote