Music Banter - View Single Post - Big Black - Atomizer
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Default Big Black - Atomizer

OK, you might know this, you might not. I am by no means a noise rock fan. It's one of those genres that has been seriously either/or for me. There's some I find great, and a lot I find p[retty bad. All in all, I couldn't call any noise album a favoriter until I listened to BUg by Dinosaur Jr.

That changed quickly as soon as I played Big Black today, who is now my favorite nosie band. Big Black, the band with Steve Albini who produced In Utero, is one of the essential noise rock groups. Big Black's Songs About ****ing carries a lot of energy, as it is very true to the noise and hardcore sounds it went for. But Atomizer is better in every way.

Atomizer carries the energy of just about any heavy, angry, or noisy genre I can think of. Throughout the first song, I kept getting reminded of the thrash energy of Metallica. It seems to outdo every album I've ever heard in terms of raw power and aggression. The guitar work is occasionally incredible, and the songwriting's flaws are easily overcome by these two factors: the guitars and energy. The secret to their quality? Steve Albini. No man alive knows energy and aggression like Steve Albini. He can take a genre I generally don't like as well as the energy, and impress even those who are greatly uneducated in the realm of noise rock, unfortunate music fans such as myself. With a guitar and a record studio, he can put any other noisy act to shame, SNAP, just like that, no matter what flaws are in the album. Because he has heart.

I'm glad I was able to hear a noise rock album finally show some real heart and dedication to music in general, rather than attempting to capitalize off a popular genre and showing no real dedication to what music as a whole is about. Atomizer is more experimental in that sense, because they work with different kinds of energies to create a musical explosion. This isn't just another noise album. It's an album that easily overcomes all of its flaws with technique, aggression, and heart. It's rare to find such great bands like Big Black. And the fact that they only had two studio albums seriously disappoints me. Atomizer is one of the prime examples of noise rock.

All in all, I've finally found a noise rock band I can give five stars. Not just the album, the band. Atomizer is another fine case of an amazing debut, one that I'll probably come back to often.

Note: this is probably the only time you'll ever see me glorify a noise album.

99/100