Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #3757 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantic Debaser View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. My interpretation of your phrasing led me to believe that you were saying that, if this coup was indeed unexpected, it would mean you were ignorant in previously assuming (the way I read it) that this was a foregone conclusion, or something. Anyway, bad reading comprehension on my part.

Apparently, the military has been frowning their noses for quite some time about Erdogan trying to push the country's legislation in a more conservatively religious direction, as they themselves want Turkey to remain a somewhat secular country, as Atatürk envisioned it.
But yeah, I guess the coup is ultimately unexpected, although Miss P, being more of an insider to the country's affairs than any of us, for obvious reasons, would probably be able to give a more in-depth picture of the situation, were she on-line.
Hope she's staying safe, anyway. Heard there was shooting going on in Istanbul as well as Ankara and some other major cities, so I suppose now is not a good time to be out and about.
German news are reporting about Turkey all the time, but it's usually just abour refugees or some outrage about Erdogan, never a word about the military. Really curious about how things will evolve. And it's really hard to pick a side to root for.