Music Banter - View Single Post - Is buying music on CD, vinyl, cassette or via download best?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Each has its respective merits and caveats - those you've cited and others I'll touch upon. The choice of one format over another is mostly preferential based upon one's circumstances.

CDs suffer the usual limitations of physical media - entropic decay, storage is limited forcing albums to restrict run time, jewel case hinges are incredibly breakable. Early CDs were horrifically mastered resulting in tinny, shoddy sound. Title availability is limited to commercially-viable recordings.

Cassettes two primary advantages are its portability and, more importantly, the participatory factor of the mixtape - a cultural phenomenon which permitted the listener to contextualize and identify with their music and to share it with others. This also created an environment for DIY home recorded genres like punk and were critical to the development of independent music.

Vinyl's allure is largely fetishist and a placebo effect. Young listeners enjoy the format as it provides a tactile and real-time listening experience and it gives a (literally) substantial value to music they would otherwise perceive as common, elemental, and plentiful as air and water. Gatefold artwork is often breathtaking and elegant. Sound quality is dependent on a combination of the mastering process, the condition of the disc, and the playback equipment utilized. Selection of tables, tonearms, cartridges, interconnects, preamps, power amps, and speakers each play a role in the resulting sound. However, the nostalgic "warmth" described by many vinyl lovers is simply a distortive property of the medium - a characteristic of playback altering the true audio signal of the artist, producer, and engineer.

MP3 offers the convenience of compression and shareability and was the first widely successful non-physical format. They offered the same flexibility as mix tapes with the added bonus of storage tens of thousands of tracks on a small drive, plus the post-scarcity economic quality of being infinitely duplicatable at no cost to the user. There was a brief "dark ages" of digital music in the early days of Napster with no bitrate standard and file exchange systems based on tracks instead of albums or discographic archives of artists or record labels, but this quickly passed as technology progressed to appease more discerning listeners who demanded standardization of formatting and v0 compression.

Still, some listeners prefer archival quality audio and have no use for single-track exchange networks. This is where my preferred format factors in. Private FLAC-based trackers offer an incredible value to these users with meticulously-structured and uniformly-extracted FLAC+.CUE + .log packages for all available libraries. Complete discographic archives are instantly accessible whether showcasing a single artist or composer or an entire record label or theme. Finally, a format arrives which offers a truly contextual listening experience, complete with catalog numbers and uniform metadata for well-organized libraries and enhanced accessibility.

And best of all, these communities offer vastly larger libraries of content than commercial channels which focus only on licensed recordings. FLAC communities offer artist demos, developmental works in progress, live performances (whether sourced from soundboard or field), and an array of other non-commercial recordings not available to the public at any price.

Vinyl will retain an audience of collectors (like myself) who desire a tangible connection to their music. CDs will experience a nostalgic renaissance as all things do 20 years after their era. Cassette culture is already on the rise, albeit a niche. But FLAC is an EAC format which addresses all of my desires... at least until the next format revolution arrives with even greater compression!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote