Music Banter - View Single Post - Those dirty ole blues men
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
whipsy48
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
I was once at a blues concert, with a crowd largely made up of enthusiastic youngsters. When the band finished a cover version of the Mississippi John Hurt song, Candy Man Blues, my friend indicated a bunch of cheering girls and said, “I wonder if they realise he was singing about his prick.”
If you are in any doubt about that interpretation, here’s the original song, and Exhibit A, the pertinent lyrics:

That set me wondering about other blues lyrics, for example, BB King’s line, "I’ve got a sweet little angel, I love the way she spreads her wings” or the following gem, originally by Memphis Minnie. Did she really have a paid driver about whom she felt possessive, or should we read between the lines, even if it means finding something less innocent?

So, have I become some dirty-minded perv, or is there more to these old blues songs than meets the eye? If anyone else has been troubled by suggestive lyrics, I’d be interested to hear other examples - if only to be reassured that I’m not alone.
Well,you got your answer and also schooled some of us in the process,
whipsy48 is offline   Reply With Quote