Music Banter - View Single Post - The transcendence of music
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Winston
Groupie

Default The transcendence of music

I know I'm new here and this is my first thread to create, so don't be too hard on me. I've been experiencing this lately and I'm going to try to express it in this post. Here goes.

Lately I've been consumed by music on a different level of feeling, almost sensing or perceiving it in a different manner. It's not something that has never happened to me but it's been a regular occurrence lately in my life. Allow me to attempt to explain, as I'm trying to improve my ability to translate thought into writing.

I've gone through periods where I was really consumed by the technical facets or elements of a musical piece. In this type of mindset I would dissect a song, structurally breaking it down, listening for technique and prowess - time signature, dynamics, harmony, chord usage and structure, modulation, use of modes and scales etc. There is no doubt all these technical components are crucial to music and they should be analyzed and appreciated.

However, as of late, I've found myself hearing music on a different level. Rather than analyzing and dissecting a song I will just listen to it, soak it in and hear it as it is in its complete form. Simply just feeling it more and thinking about it less. I have found great pleasure in this and music has been affecting me in a different way than usual. It's become more profound, more powerful, more moving. I've found much more enjoyment in simplicity and in the raw emotion and creative force of music. To hear it as it is, to bask in the sound and the emotion. I have found music to be truly transcendent, having the ability to take me out of time and space into a place that I can't quite explain. That is the true beauty of music, to me.

Interested to hear what you guys think.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote