Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums That Define Their Decade
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
So its not based on our opinion then? you can just look up album sales and see which one defines the decade.
I don't understand how do you get from a combination of influence, quality, and diversity to sales.

The key is to find an album that embodies their decade for different reasons. Here's another example. I chose the White Album for the 60's because, even though it came out in 69, it took the blues and psychedelic pop and rock of the 60's and many other major 60's influences and made them as top notch as one could get. The 60's were all about psychedelia, blues, pop and rock. The Beatles' White Album was all about them. Sales can play a part, but I would hardly say Pink Floyd's DSOTM was the defining album of the 70's because it bare;ly brushes upon anything the 70's as a wehole was about.

The 70's was ABOUT disco, funk, pop rock, and some prog. The idea is to find an album that's more ABOUT what the decade was about than most albums. The cultural impoertance and overall quality as one, but not necessarily sales. I mean, if we're only talking sales, hpow many artists are influenced by Shania Twain or Celine Dion?