Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #4246 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

I'm excited to be watching a criminally-overlooked miniseries, 1990 (billed as "Nineteen Eighty-Four Plus Six" in reference to its parallels to the George Orwell novel and to the man-vs-societal struggle of Number Six in the BBC cult classic, The Prisoner). Filmed in 1977, the series explores the near-future of 1990 where England has become a bureaucratic totalitarian state.

The program went largely unnoticed, having been unfortunately scheduled in the same time slot as Secret Army on BBC1 and has never been released on DVD. Still, you can find it online and I'm eager to check it out this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Dove into Mr. Robot last night. Ended up staying up way too late because I couldn't stop watching.

Lots of nods to Fight Club and Pi but still got a ton of original stuff going on for it. LOVE it so far.
Pi is one of my favorite films. I've only seen the pilot of Mr. Robot, and have seen very, very little television in the last 15-20 years, so I always approach contemporary programs with a degree of caution.

I enjoyed the pilot but thought the main plot point was a bit too transparent to justify an entire series. Still, the socio-cultural subject matter is really up my alley, so if more episodes focus on the societal and economic impact of the central character's anarchic efforts then I'd be willing to give it a shot. I just find any series' attempt to make characters relatable through personal subplots a bit dull and contrived.

Do you (and any other members who've seen the series) think a pretentious knob like myself might enjoy it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote