Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Music Hall
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Key

Steven Wilson - 4 1/2
Release date: January 22nd, 2016

I've not listened to a Steven Wilson solo album in quite some time, and it was convenient that he had released one this year, because I was curious to see what he had plans for in terms of what the future looks like to him. I read that this album is actually a mini album that is supposed to keep listeners happy while he works on his next solo album that would come next in line after Hand. Cannot. Erase. Even if this album is a compilation of work that has been previously done, it's still nice to listen to a Steven Wilson album that was released this year, because lord only knows when we'll get another Porcupine Tree album, or if we'll ever get one again. Hell, if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't want to disappoint my listeners with a mediocre attempt at another Porcupine Tree album, because of how good Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet are, but I digress.

It just seems that no matter what Steven Wilson does, he does it perfectly. He's up there in being one of my favorite prog artists right next to Devin Townsend. Honestly, it's hard to say that one of them is better than the other, because they are each masters of their craft regardless of which way they decide to take their music, and 4 1/2 is a damn fine example of it. Granted, the album doesn't give the man as much credit as it would if it were a full on new release, but it can easily be used as an idea of what you can expect to hear when you listen to a solo album of his. Not to say they all sound the same, but if you find this mini album to be to your liking, and you think he sounds amazing in it, well...definitely look into giving his full releases a listen, because I guarantee you will love them as much if not more than this one.

I'm not very good with reviewing EP releases because it's always hard to talk about the same songs that will probably be released again at a later time, but I admit that it is nice to hear a new version of Don't Hate Me, which you probably remember from his Porcupine Tree days. It's such a Devin Townsend thing to do as well, because Devin Townsend even re-released a track on two separate album, and each sounded completely different. So I guess me relating Steven Wilson and Devin Townsend isn't the worst thing I could do, in fact, both should take it as a compliment.

Anyway, definitely do give the album a listen. Even if it's just 6 tracks. They are 6 tracks that will leave you wanting more, which is convenient, because he has other work under his sleeve before this album was released, and again, they are all good.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote