Music Banter - View Single Post - British bands like Placebo from the 1980s
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tristan_Geoff
midnite roles around

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDG14 View Post
Yeah but they still have that definitive 80s-British sound - just the combination of vocals, drums/bass reverb and ambient noises. The guitar/bass playing on several Dinosaur Jr tracks from around 1988 reminds me of the guitar/bass on early Placebo songs (eg: "They Always Come" and "Bionic"). The vocals are nothing like each other; I meant in terms of the instrumentation.

My Bloody Valentine are the closest band that from this era that I know of with a British member, but by and large I consider them Irish. What I really meant to ask was if there were any British bands from the late 1980s that have a sound that either resembled British music from the mid-1990s or American alternative music from the late 1980s. Bands such as the Stone Roses were influential on the 1990s Britpop scene, but still have a much janglier guitar style.

As well as Placebo, you can also think of bands like the Pablo-Honey era Radiohead or Bush. XTC are a little like Blur.
Unfortunately like 90% of all music from the 80's has the same production. I know, it's ear-grating (I love the 80's but it's hard to get past that FUCKING snare drum sound) but you're gonna have to get used to it.

Emo/Pop Punk Journal

Techno Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neward Thelman View Post
"SMOKE CRACK MUDA****KKA"

I'll check that dictionary, but in the meantime I'm impressed - as is everyone else in the world - by your eloquence, obvious accomplishments and success, and the evidence of your blazingly high intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
He just doesn't have a mind so closed that it rivals Blockbuster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I own the mail
Tristan_Geoff is online now   Reply With Quote