Music Banter - View Single Post - What Shows Have You Been To Lately?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #279 (permalink)
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard
OQB

Okay I'm going to try and refrain from dragging this post on too long, but I'm on my way back from Osheaga, and I felt like bragging about how mother****ing awesome it was. If you hate "Pitchfork" bands, you'll probably just want to skip this post because I mean, it is an indie fest afterall.

Day 1:

The first day there we showed up fairly early and I'm glad we did because the line outside was absolutely nuts. We waited a good hour + just to make it through the bag checks/security. Best shows I saw were SOPHIE (who even spoke on mic, apperently for the first time ever) The Underachievers, and Vince Staples. I managed to get front row for the Underachievers and AK pointed at me during their set so that was a cool moment to have.

Day 2: Showed up quite a bit later on day 2 because I wasn't too fussed about the line-up early on. The only "big" shows I caught were Kaytranada, who had a good set but the crowd was so packed that we couldn't even dance, and Future. I managed to push my way up to just a few rows back for Future, and it was definitely worth it. All of his interactions with the crowd felt super generic and rehearsed, but it was a blast nonetheless simply because of how into it everybody was.

Day 3: Started off seeing Skepta, got absolutely soaked by the water cannons, almost ruined my phone, and had a pretty decent mosh pit (seriously, who would have thought the few hundred white kids at a Skepta show would mosh?) I missed Man though, which I was kind of upset about considering it's the best cut off his new album. After that I went and caught Grimes set. She's so cute I kind of wanted to cry, and all my friends ditched me for another show so I was totally alone in a mix of gay couples and girls who had dragged their boyfriends there. She called it about ten minutes early because she was sick, she even ran off stage to throw up and one point. She still put on a pretty good show though, and when she started screeching at the top of her lungs during Scream, the look on all the faces around me were absolutely hilarious.

Lastly, I saw Radiohead. Without going on too long, it was the best concert experience I've had. I know Radiohead get a fair amount of **** on here (as well as a ton of praise) but I've always considered them to be one of my favourite groups, and one of the pillars of the development of my taste in music. Their set was well over 2 hours, and they started by playing their new album in full. I'm still in awe of the visuals they used, and when combined with how much you could really "feel" the music, it was truly an experience to remember. They ran through some of their hits off of earlier releases as well, and Idioteque got the biggest pop of the whole festival without a doubt.

TL;DR: My first experience at a full festival was ****ing brilliant and now I'm torn on whether I want to go back next year or try and maybe visit the States for something even bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote