Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Green Day punk or nah?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #237 (permalink)
Dylstew
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blankmind View Post
I think with metal, it's found its place as its own genre at this point. Especially when you consider how far removed a lot of the newer metal getting put out is. I think it comes down to the band really. Some are way too far removed from the genres roots in rock, while others are still lying somewhere on the line between hard rock and metal. But punk, I don't think the modern version of the genre is very far removed from its origins in rock.
I kind of agree, but it is what you said about those in between bands that I find it a bit hard to fully get behind.
With Punk however, it is indeed a lot less far removed from Rock, as it's first genre Punk Rock was pretty much just amateuristic simplified Rock N' Roll music. Then we got more aggressive and faster versions of that, after that some expirimentation in post-hardcore/postpunk and for the rest it mostly just mixed with other genres. Pop (Pop Punk, Skate Punk), Metal (Crossover Thrash, Crust Punk, Grindcore), Folk (Various types of Folk Punk), Ska (Ska Punk and some Third Wave Ska), Rockabilly (Punkabilly/Psychobilly), funk/dance music (dance-punk and some post-Punk), Emo (screamo), some cases of jazz and blues (not well versed on this but I've seen them), Electronic (Synth Punk, Digital Hardcore, bands like from the cradle to the rave), etc.
Metal on the other hand has gotten a lot of it's own very distinct sub genres pretty far removed from regular Rock. Which weirdly got most removed from it when they took punk aggression into metal.

Last edited by Dylstew; 08-03-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote