Music Banter - View Single Post - Were Oasis actually similar to The Beatles?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDG14 View Post
I'd never previously given any time to listen to Oasis, having heard The Beatles and not liking their music, but thought I'd give it a go the other day. Interestingly, I like a reasonable number of their songs. They dress in a similar way to The Beatles, although I can't really detect any similarity in their music - I actually think they sound closer to The Rolling Stones (late 1960s), Nirvana (early 1990s), and The Wonder Stuff (late 1980s). Why does everyone compare them to The Beatles, then? Odd songs resemble what The Beatles wrote, but by-and-large the two seem completely different to me.
Oasis were definitely influenced by the Beatles, particularly Liam, but they had a lot of other influences as well, (The Stone Roses, Sex Pistols, Neil Young, The Smiths)

Oasis didn't have the talent of the Beatles, but they were able to write catchy poppy tunes that had a melancholy edge. Most of their hit singles are relatively easy to play if your a guitarist, they actually remind me more of Neil Young in that respect.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote