Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #623 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin_Station View Post
No, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. Part of it is that I have extremely broad tastes and I'm fairly easy to please. I truly like most music at least a bit. But even being pickier, so that it would exclude the vast majority of stuff on commercial radio, say, I can easily find plenty of newly-released music every year that I like a lot. It's just that it's extremely rare for me to find something that I like as much as my favorite artists, most of whom were well-established by the 70s.
I think discovering music now is different then discovering music when I was younger. When I was younger I only had a few albums and I played them over and over till I got tired of them. Then I put them away until I was in the mood to listen to them. I knew them backwards forwards and upside-down. Now if I find something I like I play it a few times, but I move on to discover new music. If anything, I usually find myself a particular song I really like, and vaguely knowing the rest of their music.

I think it takes time to find the right artist and explore music, imo. Then it take time for their music kinda to sink in become a favorite artist. Time doesn't matter when the music was made. Time only matters when you are listening to your favorite music.

Anyway, I thought I share my circa 70s/pre-70s artist and my post-70s artist I really like. Tell me what you think, does the circa 70s/pre 70s artists crush the post-70s artists, or are they on the same level music-wise? You be the judge.

circa 70s/pre 70s artists:
Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell

Jim Croce - Photographs and Memories

Post-70s artists:
The Actual Tigers - Testimony

Gregory and the Hawk - Oats We Sow

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote