Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #17239 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blankmind View Post
It pissed me off. Without the comic within a comic, it doesn't allow you to feel the pain of ozymandias. Also, without the alien, it doesn't give you a cohesive reason for everyone to join together. Russia has no way of knowing if Dr. Manhattan is going to just attack them or not. Doesn't give a logical reason for them to end the war.
It was a three-hour movie already. Add in the comic story, the island with all the intellectuals, and then the monster and you'd probably add at least a half hour to the run time (and the movie already had some pacing problems, so cutting the time down was the lesser of two evils AFAIC).

Spoiler for spoilers:
The monster probably also would not have translated as well onto the big screen. And I actually like the idea of Dr. Manhattan being the fake "ultimate evil". Instead of people uniting to fight aliens, they're uniting to be good little boys and girls so basically God doesn't come down from the heavens to lay waste to the world. Which IMO makes the heroes' decision to keep the truth a secret even more morally problematic.

Edit: lol@ arguing that a movie one-upped Alan Moore in his own comic while using an Alan Moore avatar.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote