Music Banter - View Single Post - The transcendence of music
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I actually think that overanalyzing music is more likely to put you in a box than the alternative, mostly because you'll be analyzing things based off of one mode of music (such as Western music) and end up grading things on criteria that it's not even considering.

I'd say that's fostered by upbringing. I think that anybody has the potential to enjoy any type of music if they're exposed to it in the right climate.
Overanalyzing can't really be combined with just listening. But it does lead up to it in a way. After a while, the listewner becomes so experienced at analyzation that he's learned to judge the overall quality by instantaneously picking it apart and putting it back together. That's because the listener knows what to look for, so there's no need to spend too much time analyzing it. It becomes instantaneous second nature, and thus "overanalyzing" it becomes a false label because it just takes simply listening to it to decipher it at that point. It becomes a second nature/mental reflex.