Music Banter - View Single Post - The transcendence of music
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 03:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuy Grungeman View Post
If anything, it opens the user to new genres. Opening yourself top a style of music that you just don't like will likely keep you away from the genre for a long time.
Uh, that means you're not opening up to it then.

Quote:
Trying to find out what makes the genre good by analyzing it is what opens a person to exploring the genre. And that's the whole reason I'm into shoegaze, hip hop, a lot of electronic genres, and more. In fact, that mental process is practically the basis for my Loveless story.
That same thing can happen through increased exposure. Also these examples don't sound like you knew what you were looking for but rather that you had to find it. I'm not saying that analyzing music doesn't help certain people (I don't know the preferred nomenclature these days), but it runs the risk of closing people off of music because it can lead to an establishment of firm rules that music is not allowed to break.

Explain how feeling music on an emotional level sans analysis can be restrictive when a person intentionally explores new kinds of music.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote