Music Banter - View Single Post - The transcendence of music
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Uh, that means you're not opening up to it then.
That's what I was saying. If you just jump into a genre without knowing about it because you don't know how it works, you'll be less likely to get attracted to it later. Whereas if you attempt to understand it by not comparing t to other genres until yopu're experienced enough, you'll first learn to like it based on the quality and then you'll find other things to like about it as you go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
That same thing can happen through increased exposure. Also these examples don't sound like you knew what you were looking for but rather that you had to find it. I'm not saying that analyzing music doesn't help certain people (I don't know the preferred nomenclature these days), but it runs the risk of closing people off of music because it can lead to an establishment of firm rules that music is not allowed to break.

Explain how feeling music on an emotional level sans analysis can be restrictive when a person intentionally explores new kinds of music.
I've never met a single person that became less attracted to a genre because they specifically searched for the quality in a new experience. If I didn't do that, for example, I never would have liked My Bloody Valentine, some Radiohead albums, Frank Zappa, ambient in general, and experimental rock. If it runs the risk of closing off genres, it runs the possibility of opening people up to them even more because they're using the unique things that separates their usual interest level from the new musical experience as the basis for what makes the unique sound good in the first place rather than just listening to it and deciding on whether you like the sound or not. Sure, increased exposure helps, but this process can sometimes get a user into a genre on just a couple to a few albums rather than spending so much time trying to like it whether or not he plays the music himself or just hears it at random a lot.