Music Banter - View Single Post - Big Four Bands Thread Round 19: Gothic Rock
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #829 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Delta Blues
Trip Hop
???

Basically, that's our schedule.

@Frown Golden Age hip hop is used to describe 90's hip hop from various influences and forms of hip hop that emerged during the 80's and 90's. Golden Age means that's when hip hop was the best and has nothnig to do with the genre sounds.

If you can find some place where 90's hip hop is an offical tag (separate from tags like 80's rock or 50's jazz), I might consider it. But otherwise, my decision on the genres is final. At RYM I did East Coast Hip Hop and I ended up getting complaints since "That's a descriptor, not a genre." 90's hip hop is a descriptor to me. And it's not like sounds change immediately after a decade turns from December 31 of 1989 to January 1 1990. My point is there are plenty of hip hop acts in the 90's who likely did not have that sound and trying to determine which of these didn't have the sound would only be that much more work for me since genres are a very subjective debate and adding decades to that debate would make a lot of hip hop bands that didn't have that "sound" you mentioned questionable. You can call me uneducated if you want, but calling me names won't get your genre.

Genres do tend to change sounds during eras, but it will only get confusing if I end up having to separate bands by decades if "sound" is what your going for, especially considering we've already had a debate on what qualifies as a 90's band.

Last edited by JGuy Grungeman; 08-11-2016 at 05:46 PM.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote