Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Progressive Punk really an oxymoron?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #91 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'm not sure this is even true, but what people care about isn't important

People who are properly into Punk understand it started in the U.S.

There was a time where I thought post punk was a UK phenomenon but then I got into Pere Ubu and The Contortions and such

I mean, I fkin love UK punk don't get me wrong here
Yeah I listen to those bands too, and Pere Ubu are one of, like what, two bands to come out of that scene with any amount of notice? Them and Devo? And no, I don't count the Dead Boys because they're garbage.

And the Contortions were part of a scene nobody probably had any idea about before the internet cause it was so short-lived and unpalatable to pretty much everybody.

Nobody cared about Pere Ubu or the Contortions or Lydia Lunch or whoever, except for a small handful of arty music fans. They launched no movements. The Sex Pistols did. So you can take your No True Scotsman fallacy and cram it. "Properly into punk" is the kind of elitist bull**** that punk either despises or reveres, I'm not sure which.

P.S. You forgot Australia. Can't be a proper snob without name dropping the Saints and Radio Birdman.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote