Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Opening Act Bands You've Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Psy-Fi
Aficionado of Fine Filth

I saw the Grateful Dead open for Jefferson Airplane when I was too young to appreciate what I was seeing & hearing. As for the ones from my teens to the present day, which I remember because they stood out as top-notch acts...

Santana/Allman Brothers Band (each band played a full 2 hour set)

Steve Winwood/Allman Brothers Band (Steve Winwood played songs from The Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, and Blind Faith for all but two songs during his set)

Jeff Beck/Stevie Ray Vaughan (they even jammed together at the end of the show)

The Bentmen/Tiny Tim (The Bentmen also did double-duty as Tiny's backing band)

The Blind Boys of Alabama/John Fogerty (I'm not much into a cappella groups but those guys were very impressive. Their version of The Star-Spangled Banner is the best version of that song I've ever heard)

Cheap Trick/Blue Oyster Cult (Cheap Trick were just starting to get some radio airplay and were largely unknown at the time)

Jeff Buckley/Juliana Hatfield (went for the opening act. Didn't care enough for for the headliner to bother staying after the opener)

Bush Tetras/The Fall (went for The Fall, thought the opener put on a better show)

Mazzy Star/Cocteau Twins (perfect combination)

The Delta Generators/Barrence Whitfield with The Grits & Groceries Orchestra (had never heard of the opener and became a fan after seeing the show)

Ronnie Earl/Guitar Shorty (no opening act was scheduled but Ronnie Earl was at the venue and heard that the headliner was going to be a couple of hours late arriving for their gig so he went home, picked up some equipment, returned and played a free show to keep the crowd entertained while we waited for the main act)

Earthless Meets Heavy Blanket/Sleep (went for the opening act and thought they put on a much better performance than the headliner)

Elder/Earthless (went for the headliner, had never heard of the opener but was quite impressed)

Sonny Landreth/Peter Frampton (had seen the opener a couple of times before and he's always impressive)

John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers/Peter Green (first time seeing either one. the opener was good but Peter Green was fantastic!)

Maneja Beto/Grupo Fantasma (had never heard of the opening band but bought their debut album at the show after hearing them play live)

Eric Johnson/Buddy Guy/B.B. King (one of the best triple bills I've ever seen)

Derek Trucks Band/Hot Tuna (Derek Trucks was around 18 at the time and just starting out with his own band)

Mark T. Small/Albert Lee (had never heard of the opening act and became a fan as a result of seeing that show)

The New Orleans Suspects/Glenn David Andrews (went for the opening act)

Hill Country Revue/North Mississippi Allstars (first time seeing either one)

The Word/North Mississippi Allstars (second time seeing the headliner, first time seeing the opener)

Silverchair/Red Hot Chili Peppers (I went to see the headliner. The guys in Silverchair were all around 16 years old at the time and I thought they blew the headliner off the stage)

Sebadoh/Flaming Lips (Sebadoh delivered a great show but the Flaming Lips had a bad night and were lackluster at best)

Barrence Whitfield & The Savages/The Sonics (great garage rock combination)

Subarachnoid Space/Acid Mothers Temple (Acid Mothers Temple sounded boring and dull after Subarachnoid Space)

The Sugarcubes/Public Image Ltd./New Order (another memorable triple bill. Bjork was already starting to outgrow her second band)

She's a Brick House

Last edited by Psy-Fi; 08-24-2016 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added some info
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote