Music Banter - View Single Post - Forum Member Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 04:25 AM   #315 (permalink)
Blank.
Jacob Sartorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Track review: Awkward Lollipop Mob - Distaste

Listened to: A whole bunch of times on headphones!

Everything is red
But I'm not dead.
Lie
Lie
I will scream
To forget the dream
Change
Change
Sleep away the night
Never win the fight
Life
Life
All the distaste
Goes to waste
Hate
Hate

Never let good distaste go to waste! The singer doesn't seem too convinced though, as the singing can charitably be described as disinterested moaning. I think that's how it was supposed te be though? Or rather... at first, I thought this was a joke track, but after dozens of listens I'm not so sure. Call it Stockholm Syndrome, but after a while, I started liking the odd guitar and bass arrangements of this very short track (1 minute and 39 seconds).
A distorted guitar constantly makes noise in the background. Sounds like one long sustained chord with a few string picks here and there. That is, until it goes all wub wub wub wub near the end. The bass line is more conventional and consists of a few slowly picked notes playing a sort of simple bass riff. Does lend a pretty ominous quality to the track. Layers of what is probably the highest string on the bass adds some weird plucked notes and some undecipherable knocking in the background is what comes closest to a drum beat. Just before the track peters out, I notice a heartbeat sound.

So, what do we call this sort of thing? I kind of imagine this is what would have happened if Nirvana had attempted recording Something in the Way after eating a whole bag of green mushrooms someone found under the dog house in the backyard. What I really wanna know is what this awkward lollipop mob has such distaste for? Intelligible guitar riffs? Drums? Singing like they give a ****? Nah, I kid. This was pretty entertaining. Don't know what to make of it since it's not really my kind of thing, but despite the less that stellar vocals, the backing music was pretty fun. I'd like it to have been longer. 1:39 is too little to do much of anything, least of all build up an atmosphere.

I'm not doing ratings, but this was bad, allright or good - depending on which angle I look at it from. Make of that what you will
Lol. This was the first song I ever wrote and I was obsessed with Nirvana. Lol so the Nirvana comparison seems fairly accurate. The vocals were meant to be that way. I wanted so badly to sound like Kurt Cobain but failed miserably. Hahahaha. Thanks for the review. Give me one of yours. I'll review it.

Last edited by Blank.; 08-15-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote