Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #12327 (permalink)
Terrapin_Station
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I think that this is a tool that some artists use to help themselves evolve as musicians, since distancing yourself from your earlier work helps keep you from falling into a rut. Or, they might simply be sick of it and it drives them to be overcritical of it.
I see it more as a symptom of changing/evolving as an artist:

As an artist, you're always trying to get as close to your ideal as you can (where that's tempered by ability as well as some practical considerations). You're also always changing--it's just a natural function of time, of being exposed to different things, trying different things, etc. So your ideal changes over time. When you listen to (or look at, or whatever for the art you do) stuff you did in the past, you tend to parse it from the perspective of whatever your present ideal is. You think, "If I were doing this today, I wouldn't play it that way--I'd do this and this instead." So folks don't typically like their older work as much. When you listen to other people, though, you don't listen to it in that frame of mind, but it's difficult to experience your own work as someone else would.
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote