Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #12391 (permalink)
Blank.
Jacob Sartorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
But not in England ... or at least not until 1997.

OK I absolutely know Hitchin' a Ride is mainstream cause when I played in plug.dj Paul Smeenus said he did not like it cause it was mainstream. But there are other reasons too. I picked Hitchin' a Ride because it shares some things in common that other songs had. It sounds Beatle-esque in my opinion. It has Ringo-esque drum beat. The piano take the place of the way Harrison plays his guitar chords. It has a recorder. Flutes and other woodwind instruments have been slowing gaining acceptance in Popular music, as well as in underground music at the time. It has a Peter Gun-esque break. It also has cow bell or the bell of the cymbal. It has decent harmonies. A tone-wheel organ makes a brief appearance. It's a fun song up-beat song. OK all those things are use sparingly in the song, they are used for hooks. Everything is nice and neat. It basically comes down to being a pop song.

OK both songs came out about the same time. Hitchin a Ride reached #16 while the Immigrant Song was nowhere to be found on the UK charts - or at least from the sources I've checked. Someone please go through the UK charts and fact-check that for me.

While Hitchin' a Ride is very similar to other songs at the time the Immigrant Song is sui generis. I am not saying its uniqueness automatically makes it underground. I saying it not really mainstream because it's not similar to other mainstream song at the time.

Hitchin' a Ride

Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
A song isn't mainstream because someone said it is. And you guys areally discussing if Led Zeppelin wasn't mainstream? Did they top the charts with one or more songs during their initial years active. Check that and you'll have the answer.
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote