Music Banter - View Single Post - Big Four Bands Thread Round 19: Gothic Rock
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #1168 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin_Station View Post
Well, ideally I want to vote for the four artists I like the most who also had some influence or importance in the genre. I like tons of artists though, so the bigger the pool I have to choose from, the harder it is for me to settle on just four.

I'm someone who when I'm making, say, a "100 favorite artists" list, it easily balloons into 1,000 instead (and that's no exaggeration), because I keep thinking of folks that I just can't leave off the list.

That's also why I tried to look at "delta blues" fairly narrowly. If I were being looser about who to include, there's no way I could limit it to four without essentially just picking four favorites arbitrarily.
I always felt go with your gut, go with who know, go with who you really like. I love Piedmont Blues and that is why I voted for Blind Willie McTell and Mississippi John Hurt. I could get technical with all the sub-genre mambo-jumbo stuff but that wouldn't who I am.

I'm not too worry about this dude and his deadlines, and the RYM is the bible of genres stuff. The biggest turn-off to this whole thing is how he disrespects my artist saying they don't count. Well they count in my book. I am very proud that the only nomination so far that made it into the top four was Minor Threat. It only proves my taste is comparatively more underground than other members on this site.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote