Music Banter - View Single Post - "I Like the Music, But Do They Have to Scream?"
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #90 (permalink)
Terrapin_Station
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
A lot of people seem to have trouble getting into one of the staples of metal: screaming/growling/shrieking and it's cutting them off from a lot of great music. I used to have this opinion when I was growing up with metal but something just happened along the way and I was cool with it.

I was wondering if you guys had any entry level screaming tracks or any methods to get used to the style. I was also interested if anyone is able to share their personal experience of how they stopped worrying and learned to love the growl.
I'm not a fan of that style of singing either, but it's not as if I don't like any metal with those sorts of vocals. However, I'd like it better if there were more melodic singing.

At any rate, one thing that I found helped me get into those sorts of vocals more was when that wasn't the only style of singing--when it was just one of many tools in a vocalist's arsenal.

For example, I like Alarum a lot, including their vocals:

(The audio quality on that upload sounds kind of like a cassette left in someone's car for too long, but that's the only upload I see of that track)
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote