Music Banter - View Single Post - "Led Zeppelin stole from African American musicians"
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Black Mountain Side - I personally think it was heavily borrowed from Bert Jansch. Jansch said that Page "ripped me off, didn't he? Or let's just say he learned from me."

Boogie with Stu - It was an homage to Ritchie Valens, not stolen from him. They heard his mother didn't get any royalties so they listed his mother on the credits to that tract, but they got sued anyway.
Black Mountain Side was not written by Jansch. It's a traditional Celtic song named Down By Black Waterside that goes back ages. Jimmy did nick some of Bert's arrangement of it though.

Zep did offer Valen's mother some money but she got greedy and decided to sue them for the whole song. She lost the suit.

It's funny that folks at the time thought that there was some sort of rivalry going on between Zep and The Stones, when in fact they were quite close. Ian Stewart (the 6th Rolling Stone) played on this and also Rock n Roll. The Stones rented their mobile studio to Zep on a number of occasions and Jimmy Page played on The Stones' One Hit (To The Body).

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote