Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Opening Act Bands You've Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Knew of Rick Derringer from his work with Edgar Winter (remember Frankenstein and Free Ride?).

Saw Aerosmith at their most wasted and terrible peak in the mid to late 70s and Rick's solo band opened. They tore the roof off of the old Boston Garden.

Music and energy was killer but the thing that sticks out is at one point Rick and the other guitarist stood on each side of the stage and in perfect timing, heaved their guitars to each other and then didn't miss a beat in the song.

Seeing Steven Tyler barely able to stand or keep his eyes open for the next 45 minutes paled in comparison.
I saw Rick open for Edgar and Johnny a couple years ago. Rick was the entire show. Such a class act. This was right before Johnny passed away, and during his set (which he had to be carried out to a chair) he faltered a lot, and Rick stepped in to help. Not in a take-over-the-stage-my-time-to-shine way, but in a gentle let-me-help-you-get-through-this kind of way. It was truly inspiring, and I was humbled by the entire experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
Jeff Beck/Stevie Ray Vaughan (they even jammed together at the end of the show)
SRV opening for Jeff Beck on the Guitar Shop tour was one of the greatest concerts I'd ever been to. This was the encore (as you mentioned):